Sunday, January 11, 2009

It started out as just another Friday...

Friday, January 9th...started out as just another day. I was planning to go to work for 1/2 the day and then head to my doctor's appointments. Work was going fine, a pretty slow day which I enjoyed b/c I have alot to get done before going out on maternity leave. My crew at work threw me a surprise baby shower which was wonderful. We got alot of stuff for Kyleigh and Abbie got a couple of presents too. We got gift cards to Target, a pooh rug for the nursery, clothes, baby soap and lotion set, hooded towels and much much more. I left the shower on my way to the doctor by way of my house to drop off lunch for Jon-Mike and to make a quick pit stop.

My first appointment for the day was with my OB/Mid-wife Shelley (1:45pm). They called me back and did the normal routine: weight (I had gained 2 1/2 lbs) not too happy at this point, checked my blood pressure (I didn't realize they didn't share the results until later), urine check (normal - no protein present) and the test for Strep B. My only complaint this week was that I was swelling again, feet, legs and hands and I couldn't get it under control. Shelley looked at my swelling and my blood pressure (138/90) yikes! and instructed me to go to the hospital (WHAT). The lab at the Doctor's office would not be able to get lab results back on a Friday afternoon and she didn't to get a complete blood workup completed, thus the reason for the hospital visit. She said plan to be at the hospital a couple of hours. I informed her that I had an appointment with Dr. Allaire at 3:30pm and she said she would call him and ask if he could see me at the hospital. As she is calling Dr. Allaire I called Jon-Mike and told him to come on over to the hospital and I called my mom for her to pick up Abbie at school.

Shelley returned to the room and instructed me to go to Dr. Allaire's office and then go to the hospital. Dr. Allaire was waiting for me when I got to this office. He checked my blood pressure (160/?) yikes!! The ultrasound was good, the fluid was down and they could tell me that Kyleigh is weighing 7lbs 7ozs and has a head of hair. He reviewed my sugar results for the week and said everything looked good and said I want to see you back in a week IF YOU DON'T DELIVER THIS WEEKEND...WHAT...Needless to say it's been a crazy weekend.

I got to the hospital at 4pm and after registering I was walked back to room AP7 which has become my home for the weekend. I told the nurse that I was told I would be at the hospital for a couple of hours and she said "sorry to tell you but you will be here overnight". Great, this was not the way I planned to spend my Friday night. Dr. Allaire had requested a 24 hour urine screen which started about 5:30pm. The nurse thought the results would be back on Saturday evening and that we would know something at that time. Dr. Allaire also requested that they monitor Kyleigh every 12 hours so after shift changes I'm hooked up to the monitor to listen to her activity. She been "very active" as the staff describes her. Very strong heartbeat and even causing me to have contractions. I'm on a diabetic diet which sucks. Breakfast is fine but lunch and dinner are...well hospital food sucks.

Saturday evening has come and gone and it's about 2am. Jon-Mike was able to hook me up with a wireless connection here at the hospital and thus I'm writing to let all of you know what's going on. My parents came by last night to visit for a while and Abbie stayed with my brother and sister-in-law (who are expecting as well). My in-laws came to visit today and were nice enough to go and get me a grilled cheez sandwich from Zaxby's for dinner (yummy). My hope is that on Sunday morning I will be sent home. Sleeping in the hospital isn't much fun and I really want to see Abbie. I've talked to her on the phone and I feel she will be a little disappointed if I come home still pregnant but at this time Kyleigh is still baking in the oven. Basically I'm waiting for the doctor to tell me (1) you are going to be on bedrest in the hospital, (2) you are going to be on bedrest at home, or (3) go home, back to work and take it easy. If I don't go into labor this week I will come back to visit both doctors on Friday.

I guess that sums up the events of this weekend. I will keep you posted on my status as the beat goes on!!!

No comments: