Saturday, November 22, 2008

This weeks update

Well this has been a long week and I was so excited for the weekend to get here so I could relax (or come close anyways).
Monday I went for my 3 hour glucose test. There were 3 other people doing the test with me but theirs were only a 2 hour test but it was nice seeing others going through the ordeal. Needless to say I failed the test which is exactly what the doctor had predicted. As a result I was informed that I had to attend a mandatory diabetic counseling session on Friday. I was not looking forward to the counseling and had joked with my co-workers all week that I was having to go to AA for sugar addicts. The counseling wasn't too bad I guess. Basically I'm having to watch my carb intake very closely and check my insulin levels 4 times a day. I've gotten pretty good at pricking my finger. I had to visit the lab yet again for one more blood draw to determine if I will have to have insulin as well. I guess I will get those results next week (and I'm praying for good news from that one). I've done good so far with eating and keeping everything in check. Kyleigh isn't moving around quite as much due to the lack of sugar but she's still active in the early morning hours and right after I eat. I was told that I could have unsweet tea in moderation (woo hoo).


Well after my first visit to Gainesville on Monday I came home and crashed for a few hours before picking Abbie up to travel back to the hospital for her BIG sister class (see pic below). The class was really nice and she got to learn how to hold the baby, feed the baby and to change a diaper. She had the diaper thing now with no problems but holding the babies head while feeding was a little tricky so we will definitely have to help her with that. She was disappointed when we toured the hospital because there were no babies in the nursery. Margaret our RN for the tour informed us that they try to keep the babies in the mothers room unless they have a busy delivery night which is why the nursery was empty. Abbie wanted to go find a baby and I couldn't make her understand that we just couldn't go into someones room to see their new baby.


I go back for my next follow-up appointment on Wednesday and will continue to go every two weeks until January. Now that I'm considered diabetic I will have a few more ultrasounds scheduled just to make sure Kyleigh is okay and that she isn't too big. I will check back in on Wednesday for another update.


Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in case I miss you!!!


No comments: